Saturday, October 19, 2013

Creating

I have loved being creative for as long as I can remember.  I grew up with a family full of creative people.  My paternal grandmother was a part time seamstress and knitted and crocheted like crazy.  My maternal great grandmother was a quilter and I have a quilt that she made when I was just a toddler.  My only uncle was a photographer in the Navy and continued on with this hobby after he was out of the Navy.  Then there was my mom and her aunt who taught ceramics and this aunt's daughter who went to college for art.

I grew up surrounded by people sewing, knitting and crocheting, drawing, photographing, and using clay.  My mom actually had a ceramics business where she taught classes.  It got to a point where we had expanded our basement to include space for her and my father to pour their own molds.  My mom would either buy greenware products of pour the molds and cure them herself.  She would then teach people how to clean the greenware, paint it, fire it, glaze it, and fire it again.  She had 14K gold paint, decals, and things that I'm sure that I don't remember.  As a kid, I love going to classes, going to the studio to buy the greenware and supplies, and spending time painting with my mom.  I also loved sewing and knitting and crocheting with my grandmother.  I always wanted to learn photography from my uncle.  I also love attempting to draw.  I loved my art classes, until I gave them up in high school to focus more on college prep classes (big mistake on my part).

Why am I writing all of this?  This is where my love of all things creative comes from.  My favorite gifts from my childhood were the creative gifts that I received.  I LOVED my box of art supplies, my toy sewing machine, my toy potter's wheel.  Today, I am forty, and I still love all things creative.  Anytime I get to spend in an art store, I am in heaven.


Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment